The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade established a contract for the provision of Architectural and Project Management services for the upgrade of the existing roof, and restoration of the historic façade of their Grade II listed building located on Grosvenor Place, London.
DarntonB3 was appointed for the above, and additionally to act as Contract Administrator, Principal Designer, to provide Party Wall Services, and Mechanical & Electrical Engineering Services.
The role was fulfilled throughout all RIBA works stages to date; from assisting to define and prepare the brief, undertaking and procuring various surveys in order to develop the design, managing the tender and appointment process, technical detailing, monitoring the construction phase, and everything in between.
The site is located on the corner of Grosvenor Place and Chapel Street, opposite Buckingham Palace Gardens. The surrounding area is characterised by similar scale historic buildings and is adjacent to Belgravia Conservation Area. The building works required planning, listed building, and landlord approvals and remained occupied by diplomatic staff, including the ambassador, throughout.
Listed Grade II, the building is a former terraced town mansion built in 1868 by Architect, Thomas Cundy III in a “French Renaissance” style. Cundy was the surveyor to the Grosvenor Estate and he also designed a number of Gothic style churches and other London terraces in an Italianate style. It is evident great care and attention was given to the building when originally constructed, and the quality of the materials and detailing were critical to restore this building to its former glory.